Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bright Star

BrightStarMoviePoster

I went and saw Bright Star on Saturday night with some friends. It is a Jane Campion film, she also did The Piano.
I haven’t seen all of The Piano yet, but now I intend to. However, I would recommend seeing this film if you want to see something different than Avatar; like period films; have an inkling as to who John Keats was (I only had a brief inkling thanks to Bridget Jones - ‘Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness”’); enjoy good acting or like art-house films.
I didn’t know anything about the history of Keats or his poetry, but having seen the film, it has inspired me to read his works.
The film was really well done in that it faced life straight on, not through rose-coloured glasses. It was raw emotionally and yet intelligently done.
Bright Star
Bright star, would I were steadfast as thou art -
Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like nature’s patient, sleepless Eremite,
The moving waters at their priest-like task
Of pure ablution round earth’s human shores,
Or grazing on the new soft-fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains and the moors -
No-yet still steadfast, still unchangeable,
Pillowed upon my fair love’s ripening breast,
To feel forever its soft fall and swell,
Awake forever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so live forever-or else swoon to death.
John Keats, 1819-1820

No comments: